THE 38th ANNUAL NEWS & DOCUMENTARY EMMY® AWARDS WINNERS
DOWNLOAD THE FULL RELEASE AS
Radio and Television Journalist and Long-Time Anchor Of “CBS Sunday Morning”
Receives Lifetime Achievement Award
Special Tribute Honoring the 50th Season of “60 Minutes”
New York, N.Y. – October 5, 2017 – Winners of the 38th Annual News and Documentary Emmy® Awards were announced tonight by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS). The News & Documentary Emmy® Awards were presented at a ceremony at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Frederick P. Rose Hall in New York City.
“It is with great pleasure that the National Academy honors the men and women of the television news and documentary industry who provide us with the in-depth coverage and analysis of events that affect our lives and those around the globe,” said Chuck Dages, Chairman, NATAS.
“I can’t think of a time in our recent history when the need for clear and factual reporting was more paramount,” said Bob Mauro, President & CEO, NATAS. “Tonight, we honor those who are steadfast in their belief that an informed electorate is the cornerstone of our great democracy.”
The event was attended by more than 1,000 television and news media industry executives, news and documentary producers and journalists. Emmy® Awards were presented in 49 categories.
Legendary anchor Charles Osgood was honored for his almost 50 years in radio and television, including his many years hosting, “CBS Sunday Morning.” The lifetime achievement award was presented by past President of NBC News, former Washington Bureau Chief for CBS News, and past Chairman of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, Bill Small.
In addition, a special tribute honoring the 50th anniversary of the CBS’ news program, “60 Minutes” was introduced by current Executive Producer, Jeff Fager.
This year’s award presenters included:
- NJ Burkett, Award-winning correspondent for New York’s Eyewitness News, WABC-TV, First Vice Chairman of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, and past President of the Academy’s flagship chapter in New York.
- Chuck Dages, Chairman, The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
- Jeff Fager, Executive Producer, 60 Minutes.
- Katty Kay, anchor of BBC World News America and Beyond 100 Days, based in Washington DC. , and contributor to Morning Joe and Meet the Press.
- Scott Kelly, former military fighter pilot, retired astronaut, and U.S. Navy captain, and a veteran of four space flights, including the year-long mission to the International Space Station.
- Tom Llamas, anchor, ABC News World News Tonight weekend editions, and Chief National Correspondent reporting for all ABC News programs and platforms.
- Bob Mauro, President, The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
- Bruce Paisner, President & CEO of The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the largest organization of broadcasters in the world, which recognizes excellence in international television programming with The International Emmy® Award.
- Byron Pitts, co-anchor, ABC News’ Nightline.
- Marvin Scott, Senior Correspondent of New York’s PIX 11 News at 10, host of the weekly issues-oriented program PIX 11 News Closeup and a Trustee of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
- Bill Small, past President of NBC News, former Washington Bureau Chief for CBS News, and past Chairman of the News and Documentary Emmy Awards.
- Jake Tapper, CNN anchor and Chief Washington correspondent, host of The Lead with Jake Tapper, and State of the Union.
- Katy Tur, NBC News Correspondent and anchor of the 2 p.m. ET hour of “MSNBC Live.” Author of “Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History.”
- Clarissa Ward, senior international correspondent for CNN based in the network’s London bureau.
Yangaroo, Inc. is the official provider of the Digital Media Distribution System Awards Management Solution (“DMDS”) for the submission, judging and voting of all programs in the 38th Annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards. Accounting services for the competition are provided by the firm of Lutz & Carr, LLP. International Emmy® Awards are tabulated by the accounting firm Ernst & Young. United Airlines is the official airline of The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
The numerical breakdown by award recipients, by broadcast, cable and broadband entities, as compiled by the independent accountancy firm of Lutz & Carr LLP, follows:
|CBS||9||Council on Foreign Relations||1|
|Discovery Channel||2||The New York Times||1|
Regional Reporting Winners
A complete list of the 38th Annual News & Documentary Emmy Award recipients is also available on the National Academy’sweb site at www.theemmys.tv.
About The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) is a professional, non-profit service organization dedicated to the advancement of the arts and sciences of television and the promotion of creative leadership for artistic, educational and technical achievements within the television industry. It recognizes excellence in television with the coveted Emmy Award for News & Documentary, Sports, Daytime Entertainment, Daytime Creative Arts & Entertainment, Public & Community Service, and Technology & Engineering. NATAS membership consists of over 15,000 broadcast and media professionals represented in 19 regional chapters across the country. Beyond awards, NATAS has extensive educational programs including Regional Student Television and its Student Award for Excellence for outstanding journalistic work by high school students, as well as scholarships, publications, and major activities for both industry professionals and the viewing public. For more information, please visit the website at www.theemmys.tv
The Emmys on the Web: http://emmyonline.org/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/NewsEmmys
Twitter – https://twitter.com/newsemmys
NATAS Press Contact:
Paul G. Pillitteri
For photography of Emmy Awards ceremonies, go to www.bryan-brown.com
Marc Bryan-Brown, 917-744-0700, email@example.com
NATAS PR LA/Social Media Contacts:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 626-296-3757