Coca-Cola HBCU Sports Production Grant
THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF TELEVISION
ARTS & SCIENCES ANNOUNCES
COCA – COLA
HBCU SPORTS PRODUCTION GRANT
Grant Opens for Submissions – Deadline March 18, 2022
(NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES) October 13, 2021— The Foundation of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS), in partnership with The Coca-Cola Company, announced today the opening of the Coca-Cola HBCU Student Production Grant call for entries. The HBCU Grant is awarded to a historically black college or university for students enrolled in a HBCU’s journalism or media production program with a focus on sports broadcasting.
Administered by the Foundation of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, submissions will be accepted through March 18, 2022. The winner will be announced during the Sports Emmy Awards ceremony tentatively scheduled for late May, 2022.
“The NATAS Foundation is excited and honored to be partnering with Coca-Cola and historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) on this new program through the National Academy Television Arts and Sciences,” said Doug Mummert, Chair, NATAS Foundation.
“We are honored to partner with Coca-Cola to recognize future industry professionals and are looking forward to viewing the compelling work produced by the HBCU students pursuing a career in sports broadcasting.” said Danielle Mannion, Education, NATAS Foundation.
“Support of Historically Black Colleges and Universities is a prime example of our commitment to refresh the world and make a difference,” said Michael Braxton, Senior Manager, Colleges and Universities and HBCUs at The Coca-Cola Company. “We are thrilled to partner with the Foundation of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences on this novel opportunity for HBCU students in journalism who are interested in sports broadcasting.”
*Any submission that does not meet the eligibility guidelines will not be considered for judging.
- Student(s) submitting an entry must be enrolled at an HBCU.
- Student(s) must intend on pursuing a career in sports broadcasting or video production.
- Entries may be submitted by an individual student or a team of students.
- More than one (1) submission per school is permitted.
*Each submission must include a video and an essay that meets the specified requirements.
- Each submission must include a creative video that addresses this year’s competition theme: The past, present or future of sports at your university.
*This can be a documentary video, a video highlighting key moments in sports history at your school, an exploration of current university athletes pursuing professional careers, etc. Tell a story that is compelling and captures the imagination.
- Videos must be 30 minutes or less.
- All video production from initial concept through final edit must be completed by the student or student team.
- You must have permission and/or proper rights to all content submitted. All music, images, graphics, footage and other copyrighted material used in your video must be properly licensed.
- Preferred file format is .MP4, H.264 video codec, AAC audio
- The video file will be uploaded during the submission process.
- Each submission must include an essay that explains the journalistic, production and other related skills gained while working on the creative video project.
- Consider your production process. How was research conducted? What production tools were used? What did you learn during the process? In what way, did this project help prepare you for your career or future projects?
- Essay should reflect on the production value as well as the story you’ve told.
- Length of essay should not exceed 1000 words.
- Content and clarity of writing will be considered when evaluating your submission.
- Essay should be typed and converted to a PDF to be uploaded during the submission process.
How to Submit/ Required Information
*All submissions must be done online: https://theemmys.tv/hbcu/
- Student Contact – name, email, phone number
*If submission is from a team, please select one student to be your primary contact.
- Faculty Advisor – name, email, phone number
- School – department name, address, website
- Production Credits – names and roles for all students involved in the submission
- Video and Essay as described above
Selection and Notification of Winner
- Submissions will be judged by broadcasting and video professionals from across the country during March and April.
- The winning submission will be announced during the Sports Emmy® Awards ceremony tentatively scheduled for the end of May 2022.
- The grant will be presented directly to the HBCU with the money used to fund scholarships for the student(s) selected as the competition winner.
- Competition Opens – September 2021
- Deadline for Submissions – March 18, 2022
- Judging – March/April 2022
- Grant Winner Announced – May 2022, Sports EMMY Awards Ceremony
For more information about entering, please visit our website at: https://theemmys.tv/hbcu/
Contact us at HBCU@TheEmmys.tv
ABOUT THE COCA-COLA COMPANY
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is a total beverage company with products sold in more than 200 countries and territories. Our company’s purpose is to refresh the world and make a difference. We sell multiple billion-dollar brands across several beverage categories worldwide. Our portfolio of sparkling soft drink brands includes Coca-Cola, Sprite and Fanta. Our hydration, sports, coffee and tea brands include Dasani, smartwater, vitaminwater, Topo Chico, Powerade, Costa, Georgia, Gold Peak, Honest and Ayataka. Our nutrition, juice, dairy and plant-based beverage brands include Minute Maid, Simply, innocent, Del Valle, fairlife and AdeS. We’re constantly transforming our portfolio, from reducing sugar in our drinks to bringing innovative new products to market. We seek to positively impact people’s lives, communities and the planet through water replenishment, packaging recycling, sustainable sourcing practices and carbon emissions reductions across our value chain. Together with our bottling partners, we employ more than 700,000 people, helping bring economic opportunity to local communities worldwide. Learn more at www.coca-colacompany.com and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) is a service organization dedicated to the advancement of the arts and sciences of television and the promotion of creative leadership for artistic, educational, and technical achievements within the television industry. It recognizes excellence in television with the coveted Emmy® Awards for News & Documentary, Sports, and Daytime television programming, as well as achievements in television Technology & Engineering. NATAS membership consists of more than 18,000 broadcast and media professionals represented in 19 regional chapters across the United States. Beyond awards, NATAS provides extensive educational programs through its foundation, including regional and national scholarships and Student Production Awards. For more information: https://www.emmyonline.tv
For press information, please contact: